All flawless 7- and 8-year-olds at the Brussels Stephex Masters are Belgian-bred
The Brussels Stephex Masters offer riders the perfect opportunity to give their up-and-coming equine stars some valuable competition experience in a professional environment. The young horses competed in their second event today. Spanning both competitions, 3 eight-year-olds and 3 seven-year-olds stood out by delivering two faultless rounds. What’s striking is that all these horses are Belgian-bred and registered either with BWP or Zangersheide. It might be a home game for them, but considering almost 64% of the competing riders are international, it’s still quite noteworthy. This serves as yet another testament to the leading position of Belgian breeding on the global stage.
- Querido VG (Dominator 2000 Z x Chellano | BWP | 7yo) ridden by Christian Ahlmann (Breeder: Alois Van Gorp | Owner: Stoeterij Zangersheide)
- Gently Z (Gentleman x Numero Uno | Zang | 7yo) ridden by Jeroen Appelen (Breeder: Schoof & Vullers | Owner: L&M Sporthorses and Stal Bruynseels)
- Charlie Be Good Z (Balou du Rouet x Chippendale Z | Zang | 7yo) ridden by João Victor Castro Aguiar Gomes De Lima (Breeder: Martine Rolin | Owners: Ecurie Francois Mathy, Pedro Renault Sporthorses)
- Pompidou van het Kuilenhof (Kannan x Brett Saint Clair | BWP | 8yo) ridden by Thibault Philippaerts (Breeder: Fam. Maesen | Owner: Team Philippaerts)
- Pursa van den Dael (For Passion D Ive x Burggraaf | BWP | 8yo) ridden by Lara Tryba (Breeder: Frederik & Eric Dekens | Owner: Scea Haras Du Lerchenberg)
- Casual Dv Z (Cornet Obelensky x Cicero Z | BWP | 8yo) ridden by Pieter Devos (Breeder and owner: Devos Stables)
Interesting fact: The winners of both events were also bred in Belgium.
On Thursday, Kendra Claricia Brinkop clinched the win with the 7-year-old Quercus van den Oude Eik (Jenson Van ‘T Meulenhof x Darco | BWP | Breeder: Gert Dierickx – Owner: Stephex Stables).
Today, the victory went to Gilles Thomas with the 7-year-old Lavanoche T&L Z (Lavallino Ter Klomp x Bentley van de Heffinck | Zang | Breeder: T&L | Owner: Robert Geens).
Thibault Philippaerts and Pompidou van het Kuilenhof, one of the combinations that went error-free this week, placed second. Thibault said, “We bought Pompidou from the breeders who live in the village next to ours. It turned out to be a very good decision. He’s incredibly quick and always gives his best. I love having him with me at competitions because he never lets me down.”